9 October 2014

I tried NailMates and they're groovy!


After reading a couple of global nail polish blogs I decided to take the plunge and order some of these new groovy Nail Mates (NailMates website). I am soooo over using foil on glitter and gel manis and these sounded like a really good alternative. Overseas I have always looked at those little bottle cappy things that fit over your nail but always thought "no". It can't be good that your cuticles soaks in acetone. NailMates was having a summer (USA) sale so I took advantage of that. The bag above with 20 extra foam inserts was just us$14. Shipping was fast airmail (us$9ish). I guess you could say pricier than those cappy things (and obviously more so than foil), but they looked tidy and like something I could use in the studio on clients.


NailMates is the genius of Chris, a super nice chick in the States. When she found out I am a tech she immediately gave me tons of extra foam inserts WITHOUT me asking for them!! Talk about cool! I have tried them now on normal nails, glitter nails and gel nails. No offense, but they are useless for normal polish manicures as you will be faster just getting out the acetone and some cotton squares. But, then, they are not designed for that! Still, thought I would give that a try.



The principle is simple, but I will tell you how it works for me. Lots of sites say "don't saturate the foam in acetone, you just need drops". Well, you need a bit more than drops! But still hardly what you would saturate a cotton ball with. I probably gave the foam five pumps off my almost empty Menda. Put acetone on the foam, slide that into the pink holder and stick your finger in, foam side up. I do one hand at a time. Leave them on for 10 minutes. The pink holders squeeze on to your nail and hold everything in place. NICE!! No dripping and the acetone spreads nicely over the nail. Up till now I have always forgotten to rough up the polished surface. One day I will remember and maybe the maties will work faster!!



If after the 10 minutes – or so – you realize some parts of the polish is still on your nail, just shove your finger back in. Perhaps add a pump of acetone. Depends on how nasty your glitter or gel is acting.

pads after twice usage
I use the foam inserts twice (once on each hand), so five a go. Though, I have had a couple that were definitely reusable after the two uses (for my personal use). Again, depends on what is on your finger in the first place. I just turn them over, repump them, and put them back in the pink holder. The foam is MUCH better than nasty cotton as there are no strings or bits of fuzz hanging on your nail. When done, I sterilize the pink things and I'm ready to go again.


I think they're great and they do the job, look more professional than foil and fit everyone's (so far) fingers. I plan on trying them on a pedicure client next week. Will see how that goes. (UPDATE: used them to remove a glitter pedi and they worked great! I didn't use on the big toe as they were too small and I didn't want to cut one - so did the foil thing but WITH a NaiMate pad!).
Below are a couple of links if you are interested in learning more, and buying! Share some love with Chris – she is really on to something here!

• Info on how they work: http://www.nailmates.net/why-nailmates-.html
• BUY here!! http://shop.nailmates.net/
• NailMates FB page: https://www.facebook.com/nailmates

No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you everyone for reading my post and perhaps commenting. I read all comments and appreciate you taking the time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...