16 December 2014

52wkCrumpet12: glitter topper (alright then, Frozen for adults!)


This is week twelve of Crumpet's 52 week challenge! The "rules" are very flexible and you have all week to accomplish the mani. As always, must be done on your own nails, using the colours suggested (or parts thereof).
This week's prompt: crinkly tape, and glitter topper (either each alone or combined). I chose glitter topper as I had an idea for snowflakes and a Frozen type adult mani. A bit of inspiration again from Queen Robin but also from heaps of other artists out there who are doing snowflake manis. And I really didn't have any ideas for crinkly tape.


I started with a one coat base of OPI Bubble Bath. I purposely did not want a French tip base as that would have been too stark and white. Only from the cuticle edge I swept up a coat of LA Colors Sheer Passion. This is (horrors ick!) a frosty pearly pink white. This gave the Bubble Bath an edge without being too opaque.



Then I added a glitter gradient from the tips inward of OPI Pirouette my Whistle and China Glaze Ray-Diant. Pirouette is a very tender feminine silver and white glitter while Ray-diant is coarser and has aspects of gold and silver. I tread very lightly and just skimmed the surface, going over a couple of times. Then I top coated with Out the Door and let it sit while I got my white paint ready.


right hand
Using one of fine line brushes I painted random snowflakes all over my nails. I tried to concentrate on having one bigger one per nail, then some small ones. The white nail on my right hand is a new white gel I am trialing, so sorry for the unmatchedness! I placed a Swarovski rhinestone in the middle of each larger snowflake just because I felt like it. I almost never wear rhinestones but if not now, then when???


I really like this mani, it is soft but also festive without being a major Xmas tree on your nails (though nothing wrong with that!). I could also see the idea as a bridal mani, maybe with flowers or roses instead of snowflakes - unless you have a winter wedding! And, yes, I am totally aware that this looks like Frozen (the Mr pointed that one out). Man, I need to let that one go.


If I were to do it again, I would add more glitter to the tips to cover up the natural nail colour. Or maybe first apply a very light-touched silver as the base. Ah, live and learn! Happy Holi-Nights!



6 comments:

  1. Lovely, but could be a little more summery. How about popsicle toes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your use of the rhinestones for the middle of the snowflakes. I imagine you don't see to many snowflakes in your part of the world, even during the winter season. Or do you have some snow? I just learned about Australia's Christmas in July tradition, so I am not sure about New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rhinestones fell off after five days!!! Too much client nail filing I say! Yes, we have heaps of snowflakes but in July, when it snows. Still getting used to everything being backwards! Cheers and Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love this nail art creation ;)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julia! Merry Christmas! x

      Delete

I thank you everyone for reading my post and perhaps commenting. I read all comments and appreciate you taking the time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...