24 December 2014

52wkCrumpet13: grey (in a candy cane style)


This is week thirteen of Crumpet's 52 week challenge! The "rules" are very flexible and you have all week to accomplish the mani. As always, must be done on your own nails, using the colours suggested (or parts thereof).
This week's prompt: distressed and grey (either each alone or combined). I chose grey as after all it IS Christmas and I could not think of a festive way that I would want to wear distressed nails. But I had an old fab grey that I decided to use and since we are allowed to also use white and red, I jazzed them up for Christmas.



I started with a one coat base of Layla Silver Galaxy. I love this polish and it is one of my first Laylas, and my first magnetic. In the meantime I have purchased a total of six magnetics from Layla, and a double up of this one!! The polish has a gradient grey with little sparkly bits! You can do one or two coats, I did one today. I probably should have done two; if you look closely at my index finger you can see the blue gel polish shining through. I top coated with Out the Door before moving on.


Armed with my fine line brush I decided to use gel polish and my new knowledge to paint the lines. I used Gelicious Queen of Hearts for the red, and their basic French White for the white. I did the red lines first and then cured the nails. Then I added wisps of white on each side and cured again. I purposely did not want a big band of white next to a band of red. More swirvy is what I was going for.

right hand
My right hand was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Using the gel had the bonus of being able to correct as you go (as long as I didn't cure). A couple got too thick and one white line wisped over the red so I got a flat brush with rubbing alcohol and lightly removed it before curing. Then I top coated.



The nails look really nice and festive but in the macro photos you can see some bleeding. I probably should have waited more before top coating, I guess. In the sun the silver really sparkles! I may have bent the rules a tad, but this will be a great Christmas mani to take me through the weekend.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Frohe Festtage and all the jazz!!! xx




No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you everyone for reading my post and perhaps commenting. I read all comments and appreciate you taking the time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...