18 January 2014

My Ripponburn ladies, 1:14 - start of year two

newbie, she just came to the community two days before
The year has begun at Ripponburn, my local retirement community!!! Today I went on a movie Thursday, which, when initially planned, was not the idea. But the movie nights got pushed out a week so there went my planning. Makes for a hectic day on my side as I have to get ready for the screening but also close early to get to Ripponburn by three. And I didn't want to feel stressed or hectic when I go there as I really enjoy it and look forward to seeing the ladies.

newbie two
I had two newbies in the group. One lady had just arrived two days before and was still shy and finding her place. She only wanted something plain but after seeing how the other manis turned out, I convinced her to try some glitter. She is a smoker so any colour will take away from the yellowness of her nails. And she has gorgeous nails! Seemed a shame to waste! My other newbie also just wanted a soft shade. I went with the gorgeous salmon for both.

dorothy
gladys
Dorothy started the day and she always likes brown shades. I make sure I have something there for her. She has the most beautiful sapphires, and brown goes well with that. In fact, many of the ladies have the most beautiful rings. I always try to comment as the rings are special to them, evoke memories and all that. Gladys was in a red mood, though she got a load of glitter on her accent nails in the end!

ivy
jenny
Ivy chose three different colours so I went with a skittlette. It was a bit of an ordeal finding out which of the three was her least favourite – that one only went on one nail! Jenny wanted what Dorothy had, but with glitter. She is so impatient. I told her to sit and relax while the polish dried but before you knew it, she was knitting!!! Oh well, she is happy but I don't think her manis last very long.

joan
joyce
margaret two
Joan and Margaret (the 2nd, another Margaret) only wanted something very pale. And Joyce had her husband visiting and she stayed around to get her nails done. She is also one who gets up and down and leaves and come back. A nomad! Looking at all these pics you would think I only brought five bottles of polish with me! But I have my mini tool box full and swatch sticks galore!

lilian
nellie
So, hurrah for Lilian and Nellie! Lilian knew exactly what she wanted and was able to tell me by name (she reads her swatch sticks carefully). And has "a wonderful memory" - she's great!!!! In case you were wondering how I approach this: I have a ring of swatchicles of all the colours I have and they get passed around from lady to lady so she can decide what colour(s) she wants. The night before I go through all of my polishes at home and put together a new ring of fun. Some polishes are the same but I try to bring in new ones depending on the weather and time of year. Nellie was a trooper and even though the pic is a bit out of focus (she kept swinging her hands!), the green and glitter looked really good!

If you have been following me these past months you will be missing my wee Norma. She is quite frail and quite old. She was not feeling up to it and was in bed. Now I fear for the worse. But Frankie, my liaison there, reminds me that they are old and time takes it toll. You make them happy - if even for a split second as their memories are not the best - and that is all that matters.

Have done some rescheduling and am back on a Friday after Waitangi Day, then in two week intervals.

Mani breakdowns:
newbie one: two coats Nicole by OPI Selena, one coat China Glaze Make a Spectacle
newbie two: two coats Nicole by OPI Selena
Dorothy: two coats Thai In the Army
Gladys: two coats China Glaze Red Pearl
Ivy: two coats each of AA: China Glaze Hey Sailor, BB: China Glaze Red Pearl, C: China Glaze Sexy Silhouette
Jenny: two coats Thai In the Army, one coat China Glaze Make a Spectacle
Joan & Margaret two: two coats OPI In the Pink
Joyce: one coat OPI In the Pink, one coat OPI You Glitter be Good To Me
Lilian: two coats OPI No Room for the Blues, one coat China Glaze Make a Spectacle
Nellie: two coats OPI Mermaid's Tears, one coat China Glaze Make a Spectacle

4 comments:

  1. This is so inspiring that I went to the local nursing home this morning and signed up to paint ladies' nails. Ironically, the activities director told me because of the overwhelming response they have had to painting nails that they just sat down yesterday to come up with a way to schedule "appointments" with the ladies who want pretty nails and have set aside a small room to use for a mini-spa. I am so excited and can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a fantastic opportunity! oh, it will be so much fun - for you and them! congrats - and keep me (us) posted!

      Delete
    2. Me again! Here in the US we have background checks before EVERYTHING so finally I had my 1st visit with the ladies yesterday and it was fabulous! I was only able to visit with 4 ladies, but it was time well spent with each one. None of them were super adventurous on color and not 1 wanted a design but I will keep working on them. :o) I love to stamp so maybe I can convince someone to let me do an accent nail. Thanks for setting such a fine example of humanity in this frustrating world. - elizabeth

      Delete
    3. that is such great news!!! yes, I am sure there are many background checks in the states and probably fair enough. sue happy in the states! stick with it, eventually one of the ladies will want an accent nail, or glitter, or a flower or something. that will set the hive hummin'! so happy it worked out for you and I am convinced, there will be many happy moment ahead! cheers!!

      Delete

I thank you everyone for reading my post and perhaps commenting. I read all comments and appreciate you taking the time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...